Re: [Xen-users] Another "how do i" question regarding networking and ser

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Another "how do i" question regarding networking and server consolidation...
From: Ernst Bachmann <e.bachmann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:24:26 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 17:34:49 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 08 February 2006 18:14, Charles Spirakis wrote:
> Hello --
>
> I've been watching this mailing list and trying to find documentation
> to do server consolidation using xen. Specifically:
>
> I have:
> Machine A at ip address x.y.z.10 and Machine B at ip address x.y.z.11
>
> I want:
>
> Xen domain 0 at ip address x.y.z.50, Domain U1 at ip x.y.z.10 and
> Domain U2 at x.y.z.11 using (preferably) only one physical ethernet
> NIC (in the old days there was ip aliasing to do this) such that (as
> far as the rest of the network is concerned) they think there are
> three machines, but there is really only the one physical Xen machine
> with two guests. Is this possible with Xen and brctl?
>
> And if so, anyone have any suggestions? Nearly everything I've read
> assigns an ip address to the bridge and then does some form of
> nat/route/vpn/vnet to the guest domains (to make the outside world
> think there is only one machine). How do you make the outside world
> think there are multiple machines?

Just use the default bridging config xen comes with.
It makes the outside world think that there's an additional switch/hub at the
end of your network cable, with dom0 + domU + domU + ... attached to it.

(bridge and physical eth0 run without IP adress, all domains (including dom0)
are attached to the bridge with "virtual network cables", the vif->veth
pairs)

/Ernst