[Xen-users] AMD processors with Pacifica and Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] AMD processors with Pacifica and Xen
From: Bas Mevissen <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 22:05:59 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 21:17:08 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

After getting very enthosiast about Xen during the Xen tutorial at Linux Kongress in Hamburg, I think it is time to put Xen at work.

I want to co-locate a server with several virtual machines running on it. Main OS will be Centos 4.2 and the guest will run some Linux distro. Later this year, another Windows-based VM may be added.

So now I'm looking for a good server. The Tyan GX28 is my favourit up to now, mainly for the combination of specs and price. See <http://www.tyan.com/PRODUCTS/html/gx28b2881.html> and specs on <http://www.tyan.com/PRODUCTS/html/gx28b2881_spec.html>. In short, it is an 1U rack server with a Dual AMD Opteron™ system board with dual PGA 940-pin ZIF sockets and it has 4 SATA HDD spaces.

But, as the subject says, my question is about Pacifica support. For the Xen part, it is probably a matter of patience. But maybe someone here can tell me more about the following questions:

1) Are Pacifica AMD's going to be sold soon and will they fit on this board? The announcements about Pacifica-containing CPU's talk about 940-pin socketed CPU's.

2) Is AMD a good choice for a box with a number of server-like guests running on it or should I buy for example Intel Xeon (32 bit or 64 bit)?

3) How realistic is it to expect a Windows guest (say, XP pro) running on a Linux Xen dom0 by Q3 of this year, provided that I buy the right hardware?

I realize that these are difficult questions and maybe not entirely on-topic here. But I'm facing them right now and this is a place where smart guys hang out, isn't it?

Thanks a lot,

Bas.