RE: [Xen-users] 32Bit DomU on 64Bit Dom0 possible?

To: "Robin Schröder" <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] 32Bit DomU on 64Bit Dom0 possible?
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 12:28:22 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:41:27 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A para-virtualized Linux can not be run on a hypervisor with "different
bitness" - so to you'll have to use 64-bit DomU if you use 64-Bit Xen - and of
course, Dom0 has to be same as DomU, as they both use the same interface - just
that Dom0 happens to be able to do some things that DomU can't do...

If you run on a fully-virtualized platform, such as the AMD SVM (formerly
Pacifica) or Intel VTx, you can run unmodified kernels, so you could run 16-bit
DOS, 32-bit Linux or Windows, on a 64-bit Hypervisor. Dom0 still needs to be
64-bit Para-virtualized.

To get uname -m to report something else, you should be able to use setarch,
see:
http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/setarch8.html

You may need to INSTALL setarch from someplace. Note that this affects the
current application, but if you want, you can do something like "setarch i386
bash", and thus start another shell with the architecture set to i386, where
you could continue to install other software that needs to think that the
system is 32-bit. MOST software, installers in particular, should really
understand that x86_64 is a superset of ix86, but for older stuff that's not
always the case.

--
Mats