Re: [Xen-users] Xen and iSCSI

On Monday 06 February 2006 6:49 pm, Markus Hochholdinger wrote:
> So drbd is the right approach. But what i dislike is this heartbeat thing.
> Have you read the drbd docs? As long as i can see there could be some
> damage to the storage. If drdb splits (master disconnect from slave) it is
> possible that both gnbd servers get master and when reconnecting you have a
> big problem. Or I am wrong?

use some kind of STOMOTH (Shoot The Other Machine On The Head).  as soon as
heartbeat fails, one of the hosts will kill the other.  usual weapons are
ethernet-managed power strips and manageable ethernet switches (to disable
the other machine's port).  that way, you're assured that if there won't be
two surviving masters.

i don't know if drbd (or heartbeat) includes support for that, but GFS (and
therefore, CLVM) uses it extensively.

--
Javier