Re: [Xen-users] Xen and qemu: WOW!

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen and qemu: WOW!
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 01:45:51 +0000
Cc: Markus Hochholdinger <Markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 01:57:39 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> reading in the xen list about support for running unmodified guests i read
> something about that xen has borrowed hardware emultaion of devices from
> qemu.

Yep.  The device model code is based on QEmu's, plus some patches to QEmu that
are available online, plus some patches made by Xen developers.  Right now
the device emulation is even running as a program in domain 0.

> So i testet qemu, still the xen live demo cd in my cdrom drive and no other
> rootfs handy: qemu -cdrom /dev/cdrom
> And to my wonder the xen cd startet successfully! Cool for testing...

I was told that Fabrice (author of QEmu) uses the Xen demo CD as part of his
regression testing for QEmu.  At some point it was the case that QEmu didn't
enforce segment protection properly (meaning that Xen guests wouldn't be
truly secure when run within QEmu).

Now try running Qemu on Xen on Qemu on Xen on ... ;-)

HTH,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!