[Xen-users] Getting started with Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Getting started with Xen
From: Jean-Michel Hiver <jhiver@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 18:00:48 +0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:10:17 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi List,

Being very new to Xen I have a few generic questions for the list, I hope to grab some useful advice and pointers to documentation.

I am evaluating Xen to consolidate a few existing servers into one appliance (mainly in order to reduce power consumption, heat, and hardware failure risks). I plan to have a SER router, an Asterisk LCR router, a voicemail server, a calling card server and maybe even a MySQL server, all in one box.

In order to do this, I have ordered a dell poweredge 1850 bi-xeon, 4 gb ecc ram, and raid 1 SCSI disks. It also has dual power supplies and dual port network cards. The idea is to have redundancy wherever possible in order to lower the risk of server downtime.

I would like to know if there is a "getting started" howto somewhere I could play with on a test server before my production server comes in. Also I would like to know if there are known issues with the hardware I have ordered.

I plan to use debian sarge for the host and all the virtual servers, does it sound like a reasonable choice for Xen?

Is it possible to "migrate" a virtual machine to a completely different PC (with different hardware specs)? That would be a very useful feature to have for upgradability.

Finally, are there consultants available for remote training and support? It would be handy to have someone who can help while I go through the process of getting Xen to work.

Best Regards,
Jean-Michel.

--
Jean-Michel Hiver - http://ykoz.net/
Découvrez la Réunion des Technologies IP & Telecom