Re: Subject: Re: [Xen-users] boot existing OS

To: John S Little <JSLittl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [Xen-users] boot existing OS
From: Jayesh Salvi <jayeshsalvi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:02:48 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:10:48 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Is it possible to boot from a readonly partition? A bulk of any distribution (bin,lib,etc?) is not modified by a non-root user. Only var, home directories are what need to be modified. So is it possible to collect the immutable parts of a distribution on one partition and boot from it, while mounting var and home directories from rw partitions. Isn't that how the live CD distros boot?

I yesterday tried doing this. In my domU config file I put the root disk as 'r' against 'w'. Mounted var and home on 'w' partitions. But I still got tons of errors at boot time because it was trying to read the 'ro' root partition.

Do you happen to know a right way to do this?

Thanks for the detailed description of the process. This stuff should go in a wiki/howto. I had made some very silly mistakes when I started using Xen, I would have avoided them if such document was there.

Thanks,
Jayesh