[Xen-users] Unstable Xen host

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Unstable Xen host
From: Jamie Neil <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:46:01 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:27:54 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We are currently testing Xen3, and have installed the packages from debianbase.de on a Dell PowerEdge SC1425 running Debian Sarge.

Installation went fine, and we have created guest domains (debootstrapped from the host) which seem to run with no errors, however the host domain is rebooting at random intervals and for no reason that I can identify.

When it crashes there are no errors in the logs, and it restarts without a problem (although we have had some unclean shutdown problems with the guest domains). I thought it might be the custom kernel that I compiled, so I installed the precompiled kernel from debianbase.de, but the problem remains unchanged.

This server had been running for several months without problem before I installed Xen, so I think a hardware problem is unlikely (unless it is now exercising a memory fault that was previously untouched).

So can anyone give me some idea about how to start troubleshooting this problem?

Environment:
 Hardware - Dell PowerEdge SC1425 (2.8GHz Xeon/1.5Gb RAM/2*80Gb SATA)
 Host OS - Debian Sarge (software RAID1/LVM2/ext3)
 Guest OS - Debian 3.1 (LVM2/ext3)
 Xen - 3.0.0 (debianbase.de)
 Kernel - 2.6.12.6-xen (debianbase.de)

--