Re: [Xen-users] How to run Windows on Xen 3.0 with VT

To: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to run Windows on Xen 3.0 with VT
From: Mogens Valentin <mogensv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:29:13 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:35:39 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Williamson wrote:
Because it's full virtualisation, you should be able to configure it to
boot off a CD ROM, then just boot your install CD (or an iso thereof).
Subsequently, you can change the default boot drive to the virtual hard
disk, and you'll be able to run Windows.

To what avail?
Being able to install unmodified non-graphical (server)systems is a fine
thing; graphical systems like W2K3/XP is another talk.
No Xen-aware video drivers are available. In a couple of threads, I've
argued that Nvidia is interested in developing such a driver, but won't
do it until deemed nessesary. It will only happen with applied pressure.

There are three aspects here:
1) Xen-aware drivers for dom0 (i.e. drivers which understand discontiguous physical memory). This wouldn't be such a problem if the driver wasn't closed-source. I believe this is what you're referring to.

Exactly. Now, closed/open... While I don't known enough about current binary-mostly, (partly) OSS kernel module, drivers, like Nvidia, but I'm thinking: It's not likely Nvidia et al will open drivers, but maybe they could be pursuaded to place as much functionality as possible (without disclosing the intricates of the GPU) into an OSS kernel module, thereby enabling Xen developers to adapt that part of the code, leaving less work to Nvidia on the (X) binary module. Just an idea...

Graphics cards work fine in dom0 in VESA mode, many properly accelerated
> drivers also work OK.

I only knew VESA worked. I would prefer not having to do too much work in dom0 (applies to 2) below). I don't seek the impossible, though ;)

2) Xen-aware drivers for guests (so that guests can get maximal video performance). This is relevant for both paravirtualised and fully virtualised guests. 3) Emulating a real hardware video card so that fully virtualised guests can use the display.

Has the basic framebuffer problem been solved, i.e, can a graphical
installer even run?

Fully virtualised guests have 3) an emulated video card. So yes, they "display" to either an X Window in dom0, or to a VNC server that can export their screen over the network. Don't expect huge graphical performance from this emulation, though.

My take is, with VRM/VT available, expected sometime april/may, it's all
possible HW/Xen wise, but the graphical part will have a long way to go.
Jacob's OpenGL-based graphics-on-domU's work in progress may be the only
working solution, and may at least enable use of graphical-oriented
servers and ditto gui administrated apps. Not so sure about things like
XP performance, but it may permit XP in a integration testing scenario.

There's a load of additional work underway in order to provide higher performance graphics to both dom0s and domUs. In addition, we're hoping to get functional dom0 drivers distributed by NVidia and friends at some stage.

Sounds good. Have you actually -heard- from Nvidia? Last time I wrote in the thread on nvnews, they replied that the RFE had been scheduled as a workunit to be looked into when deemed apropriate. AFAIK, Nvidia are the only ones to actually have opened an RFE on this. That itself is much preferable to no reaction, but 'we' need to keep telling them to do something about it.

I'm fully aware that Xen is foremost being developed as a server solution, and rightly so. The Xen workstation is a sweet dream, though.

--
Kind regards,
Mogens Valentin