[Xen-users] bad http proxy (not general network) performance on xen domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] bad http proxy (not general network) performance on xen domU
From: Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:17:50 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:25:12 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I want to set up an environment for web development, with a clone
(better: as many clones as needed, and as the machine can bear) of the
live server in a xen vm. To let a browser see the website to be worked
on under the same name as in real live, I want to run tinyproxy, a
small http prpxy software, on the domU host, who then has the the
hostname I want to simulate in it's hosts file, assigned to the local
IP.

When I configure my browser to use the proxy on the domU to connect to
the webserver on the domU, it takes extremely long until a simple
request is answered (say, without proxy, 1 sec, witrh 30 sec). Even
when just connecting to the host with it's IP, not trying the
name-tricks explained above.

Without proxy, or via a proxy on the dom0 I can call the same page
easily and it is delivered very fast.

Is there anything in a domU which could make a http proxy work with
extremely bad speed, while everything else seems to be fine?

I use Debian sarge for dom0 and domU, xen 3.0.0 installed from source
as explained in the README and xen manual in an unchanged
configuration, I have not setup any other special network stuff but
the things mentioned here.

Henning