Re: [Xen-users] lvm size

Are you increasing the block size when you copy with dd??? Or are you just using the default which I believe is 512 bytes. I use dd to create my lvm's from template files. My template OS's are around 500M to 1G. For example.

inuyasha:~# time dd if=debian3.1 of=/dev/vds/lvol2 bs=1M
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
536870912 bytes transferred in 25.429652 seconds (21112004 bytes/sec)

real    0m25.432s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m2.090s

25 seconds to copy a 500 meg file to the lvm and as you can see almost no cpu time was used. However if I don't increase the blocksize I get this.

inuyasha:~# time dd if=debian3.1 of=/dev/vds/lvol2
1048576+0 records in
1048576+0 records out
536870912 bytes transferred in 153.342399 seconds (3501125 bytes/sec)

real    2m33.345s
user    0m0.650s
sys     0m3.530s

Big difference huh?? 25 seconds to 2.5 minutes. Still doesn't thrash the processor but this is a dual 2.4ghz xeon with an ultra 160 scsi array.

Dave

Anand wrote:

If i have two volumes test7 and test8. What is most efficient way to copy data from one to another ?

I did tests using cat, rsync, dd, cpio and all of them seem to be consuming almost all of my dom0 256MB ram and cpu load goes up to a max 1.65 (athlon 2.6ghz, 1gb ram)

Infact dd takes more time to copy the data, ofcourse the reason being the way it operates and copies sector by sector. All other tools averaged time at 4.5 mins, dd took 6+mins.

The test7 volume is of 850MB and the test8 volume is of 1GB. The test7 volume is actually the template for the centos which is used for various domains.

Can anyone please share their experiences on what they use to copy data most efficiently ?

--

regards,

Anand