Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen-users Digest, Vol 11, Issue 79

To: Jean-Eric Cuendet <jec@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Xen-users Digest, Vol 11, Issue 79
From: Jayesh Salvi <jayeshsalvi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:34:53 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 05:41:43 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yeah I am also interested in an answer to this question.

As I understand, the main drivers that I have yet heard of xen supporting are net, block device and USB. For allowing the domU access to graphics card, one will have to write front end and back end for the VGA driver. Has anyone already written this?

Jec, if you are worried about using special features of the graphics card in domU instances, then I am afraid that will be difficult (please correct me if I am wrong in this). As I understand it, if the access to graphics hardware is going to be through front/back design, then the domU front end driver will be very generic and won't give access to all special features of native graphics card.

My interest in this topic is from the driver design point of view. Otherwise I understand that Xen's priority is virtualization in enterprise environment and not game playing on desktop.

Thanks,
Jayesh