[Xen-users] Re: Xen won't boot after connecting to EMC san

To: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Xen won't boot after connecting to EMC san
From: John S Little <JSLittl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:29:52 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:37:10 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dirk

"Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 01/11/2006 02:22:02
AM:

> John S Little schrieb:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I've installed Xen 3 from Mercurial.  The Xen3 kernel boots ok finding
all
> >of the necessary devices until I plug in the fibre connection to the
san.
> >When I do that it fails just after finding sdc (the san drive) with the

> >message:
> >
> >can't find sda3 (this is the / partition)
> >/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
> >
> >I'm using a SLES 9 sp 2 box.  My menu.lst is:
> >
> >title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
> >        kernel (hd0,0)/xen-3.0.gz console=vga dom0_mem=262144
> >        module (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6-xen selinux=0 root=/dev/sda3
> >console=tty0
> >        module (hd0,0)/initrd-xen
> >
> >Any idea why adding the san drive (sdc) would cause it to not be able
> >find sda3 (the / drive)?
> >

> To me that sounds like a SAN specific question/problem. Maybe your SCSI
> IDs (virtual and real) are overlapping?

Since it only happens under Xen that makes it have something to do with
Xen not the san.  It is the boot process mechanics of what loads when.  In
my case I had the HBA driver compiled into the kernel statically which
made it load to early in the boot process-hence making the san drive
/dev/sda and pushing sdb down to sdc and so on.  After I compiled it in as
a module all is well.

Regards,
John