RE: [Xen-users] reboot of complete system after start domU

To: Boris Kröger <boris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] reboot of complete system after start domU
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:33:07 -0000
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 21:39:53 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I managed to install
> - XEN from xen-unstable.hg
> - kernel 2.6.15 from linux-2.6-xen.hg
> - LVM2 and initramfs
> on my AMD64 running Debian sid as pure64.
>
> I can boot normally XEN 3.0 with a dom0 2.6.15 kernel, but as
> soon as I start the corresponding 2.6.15 domU kernel (#xm
> create -c test.xen) the computer performs a hard reset.

There are known issues with 2.6.15 as an x86_64 dom0 -- that's why its not
checked into the tree. This sounds more serious than the other problem that has
been observed, though.

> This is reproducable.
> The configuration for test.xen is a copy of the xenexample1
> file with very little changes (LVM for disc, ip, ...).
>
> My questions:
> 1. Anyone observed this behaviour before?
> 2. Any tips on getting more information or to nail down the problem?

Put 'noreboot' on the xen command line, and don't start X in dom0 so that you
get an oops message (or connect a serial line).

using a debug=y build of xen would be best.

> 3. Which XEN 3.0 is best to be used for serious projects?
>   - xen-unstable.hg
>   - xen-3.0-testing.hg
>   - xen 3.0 download

3.0-testing