Re: [Xen-users] Xen alternatives

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen alternatives
From: "Steven Anderson" <hikenboot@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:46:09 -0500
Bcc:
Delivery-date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:04:49 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Greetings!

You had ask wether there is provision for Xen to run windows without VT enabled hardware.

Yes there is a comercial product called Win4Lin(which is basically QEMU with a few changes) that will run a windows server and xp or terminal server inside a domU.

It does have condiderable overhead just as qemu and vmware does.

The VT enabled hardware is now arriving! I would suggest for a production environment that you find a dual or quad motherboard server with vt enabled chips. You will be much happier. Also to support moving of vm's your going to need a SAN. Blade servers such as eugeneras blade center is an excellent alternavative to standard servers. Wether they currently support VT enabled chips i am not sure.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Steven