[Xen-users] multiple nics in a xenU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] multiple nics in a xenU
From: nhgxfjijdrcd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:51:42 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:58:12 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi xen users,

I'd like xen0 to be the controller and xenU(1) to be a firewall/router
with 4 subnets (WAN, LAN, DMZ, TEAM) each with 1 of 4 physical nics attached to it.

Using FC4 with xen-3.0.0-7 with linux kernel 2.6.12.6, default make
world configurations, box is athlon cpu, 512M, 4 nics.  On boot all nics
are recognized, lspci shows them to be present.

In xenU there are four ifcfg files, one each for eth0,1,2,3.  Everything
seems to be OK until eth3 is brought up. It always fails with 'Error for wireless request "Set Encode 8B2A", SET failed on eth3, No such device".

Thinking it might be related to being the last card I tried adding a fifth nic, but that made no change; rearranging the cards also had no effect.

Is there a limit on physical nics in a xen box?

In short, I'm lost. Should the nics be brought up in xen0 or not or does it matter (since they are recognized by the kernel on boot)?

Does anybody have example configuration files that show how to have physical nics attached to a xenU?

I've tried to implement this using some of what was in the thread "Xen networking concepts" of Dec 20, 05, but because of the errors I'm getting I'm not sure what I'm running up against and/or where I'm getting lost.

I've RTF(M,Wiki,google,Xen3 User Guide,Interface Guide,user web sites) etc and am befuddled. Any help or pointers or links to relevant documents or other configurations that have been found to work?

All help always appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike Wright