RE: [Xen-users] Solved: network problems when starting xend, Xen-3.0 + t

To: "Ken Simpson" <ksimpson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Solved: network problems when starting xend, Xen-3.0 + tg3
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 08:56:47 -0000
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, doubleukay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:03:24 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Responding to a rather old post:
>
> > > Ian Pratt wrote:
> > > This is rather interesting. We use tg3 cards on many of our boxes
> > > and haven't had problems.
>
> > To be specific, it's the builtin NIC for the Dell Poweredge 850.
> > Tigon3 [partno(BCM95721) rev 4101 PHY(5750)] (PCIX:100MHz:32-bit)
>

> > > It should only be peth0 that needs to do autonegotation.
> Please can
> > > you try a more minimal version of your patch that just perturbs
> > > peth0.
>
> > > Also, rather than "sleep 5", could you try polling for the link
> > > status going "up".
>
> > How about this: http://pastebin.ca/33278
>
> I have the same problem on a SunFire X2100 with the tg3
> driver. The patch at the above URL fixes the problem.
> Apparently it just takes a while for the device to
> auto-negotiate and therefore merging the device into the
> bridge fails. Waiting for the device to come up fixes the problem.

I suspect this is provoked by the ethernet switch you have it connected
to. I've noticed that some of our Dell switches are rather slower to do
autonegotiation than any of our other brands.

Quite why the link needs to be up before adding the device to the bridge
is unclear. That smacks of a tg3 driver bug, perhaps a race updating
dev->flags.

Ian