Re: [Xen-users] domU network problem

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 01:41:52PM +0100, Stefan Schueffler wrote:
> in SuSE-linux these files are located in /etc/sysconfig/network/,
> i think that are the files you meant?
>
> > Does it work using /etc/network - files?
>
> i do have a ifcfg-eth0 - file, and on boot the boot-message says:
>
> Setting up network interfaces:
>    lo    IP address: 127.0.0.1/8
> Waiting for mandatory device:  eth0
> 19 18 17 16 15 13 cat: /sys/class/net/eth0/ifindex: No such file or directory
> 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0  cat: /sys/class/net/eth0/ifindex: No such file
> or directory
>     eth0                                interface could not be set up
>
> in the /sys/class/net - directory there currently is a /eth22 - subdirectory,
> on next boot it will be eth23, eth24 and so on.
>
> In the current case, manually activating eth22 with ifconfig and setting the
> routing and ip-adress works fine (from domU i can ping the outside and from
> the outside the domU), but this solves not the problem of increasing
> eth-numbers.

I haven't used SuSE, but as a guess, perhaps SuSE is confused by the
fact that xend assigns a different random MAC address to the virtual
network card on each boot?  There might scripts that check the MAC
address of the card on boot, and if it hasn't been seen before, assign
it a new network interface name (eth22, eth23, etc.)

If this is the case, then you should be able to fix the problem either
by disabling this feature in your SuSE network configuration (I can't
provide any specific help here, unfortunately), or assigning a static
MAC address in the xend configuration file.

--Michael Vrable