Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0 (release) Debian packages?

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0 (release) Debian packages?
From: Ben <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 02:19:21 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 07:25:16 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Ralph,

Does your package contain USB drivers for external mass storage devices?

I have trouble getting external USB drives working for backup and am wondering if I'm missing something or I need to compile my own Xen
Kernel.

It seems support for USB External Mass storage devices may not be compiled into the binary xen download. Can anyone comfirm this?

Thanks,
Ben

=====================

The problems with the "backend device not found" or "hotplug script not working" was completely my mistake and had nothing to do with the packages.

Xen 2 used "xen-br0" als default bridge device. Xen 3 usses "xenbr0" and I had still some old configs with xen-br0.

It would be great if the /etc/xen/scripts/* would give better debugging output. If the output was something like: "xen-br0 not found" then I would have found the mistake a lot faster.

the packages are available at:

http://packages.debianbase.de/<distro>/i386/xen3/ and
http://packages.debianbase.de/<distro>/i386/xen3-pae/

and are working quite well...

I still would like to get some feedback, if someone is willing to test them, here a short howto:

1) simply add:
"deb http://packages.debianbase.de/<distro>/i386/xen3 ./"
OR
"deb http://packages.debianbase.de/<distro>/i386/xen3-pae ./"
to your /etc/apt/sources.list file. Repleace <distro> with either sid, sarge or etch.

then installing xen3 is very easy: "apt-get update && apt-get install xen".

only the linux-xen-patch package doesn't work (at the moment, I am working on it), so compiling a kernel is not "the debian way" for now.

add: "deb-src http://packages.debianbase.de/sources/xen3 ./" to /etc/apt/sources.list and type: "apt-get update && apt-get source xen".

Then changedir in the new xen3.0.0 directory and type:
"make linux-2.6-xen-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig"

and then either: "make linux-2.6-xen-install" or use make-kpkg in the linux-source dir for building a kernel package.

Feedback is very much appeciated.

--Ralph