RE: [Xen-users] Confused about the xen livecd 3.0

To: "Tony Lewis" <gnutered@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Confused about the xen livecd 3.0
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:29:10 -0000
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:33:53 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > I'm dabbling with xen, and tried downloading the Xen LiveCD
> 3.0 from
> > http://www.xensource.com/xen/downloads/, via the torrent
> there.  When
> > I boot from this CD, I get dumped to a grub> prompt, and
> can't figure
> > out how to go further.
> >
> > I can't find an MD5SUM for that ISO.  And when  I check Xen on
> > sourceforge, and try to download the ISO from there, the file is 0
> > bytes long.
> >

> More info: I tried the Xen 2.0.6 Live CD and got the same
> results - the "grub>" prompt.

I'm afraid this is most likely due to your system having a slightly
flaky bios. grub tends to be less forgiving than isolinux, which is the
more commonly used CD bootloader.  We might try and move later versions
of the demo CD over to isolinux, but the grub problems seem to only
affect a small minority of users, and some of them reported success with
a bios upgrade.

best,
Ian