Re: [Xen-users] Which distro for x64?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Which distro for x64?
From: Adam Carheden <adam.carheden@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:21:13 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:25:16 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I currently have an Gentoo AMD64 system running a Xen kernel quite
happily.  Nothing with Gentoo is simply point n' click, but if you're
not afraid of the command line for the install, it's wonderful. Here's
my install process:

1) Follow the Gentoo Handbook for AMD64 (www.gentoo.org->docs...)
2) Don't use a Genkernel initrd (which is acutally an initramfs), as
initramfs doesn't seem to work with the Xen kernel. This means your
DOM0 root fs can't be on LVM.
3) Make sure udev is version 70 or later with the command `udevinfo
-V`. I think it should be for Gentoo 2005.1, but if it's not, do:
  emerge --sync
  emerge udev
4) When they tell you to emerge gentoo-sources, instead do:
  echo 'app-emulation/xen ~x86' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
  echo 'sys-kernel/xen-sources ~x86' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
  emerge xen xen-sources
5) I've had problems starting with the .config that emerge xen-sources
makes. Instead, download the xen sources directly from xensource.org,
do a `make world`, and copy the .config file it creates into
/usr/src/linux. If that sounds like a bunch of trouble, just e-mail me
directly and I'll gladly send you the .config files I always start
from.
6) Compile a xen kernel:
  cd /usr/src/linux
  make ARCH=xen menuconfig
  make ARCH=xen
  cp vmlinuz /boot/kernel-2.6.12.6-xen
  make ARCH=xen modules_install
7) Slightly modified grub config:
  title  Gentoo / Xen 3.0
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /xen.gz
    module /kernel-xen root=/dev/sda5
8) NFS defaults on Gentoo (64 or 32)seem unhappy under Xen. When you
do an NFS mount, use intr,tcp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768 as options.

Happy Xening!

On 12/24/05, René Pfeiffer <lynx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2005 at 1451 +0000, Christopher Snow appeared and said:
> > I'm looking for a distro that supports XEN on x64.  Are there any distros
> > that
> > are production ready for this platform?  I've just tried openSuSE 10.0, but
> > found it to be buggy.
>
> I run Debian Sarge 3.1r1 on AMD64 with full 64-bit support. The system
> is a workstation, not a Xen system though. But it runs absolutely stable
> since June. I use it regularly at the office and did not encounter any
> problems.
>
> Best,
> Lynx.
>
> --