Re: [Xen-users] Install and execute from CD of installation

To: Luis Alberto Reyna <betoreyna@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Install and execute from CD of installation
From: Bill Church <bill.church@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:07:09 -0500
Cc: XenUsers <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:08:59 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Luis,

That's a tough one. I think your best bet may be to install on another
machine, tar up the installation, then put it in Xen. Don't forget, of
course, to copy over your DomU kernel modules. There are probably other
issues you'll run into as well, 2.6 kernel will probably be too much for
it, I've never installed a newer kernel on a distro that old. If I
recall correctly that was Kernel 2.0? or did they have a 2.2 kernel for
it?

It's been a while since I was on 5.2 but I don't think they had any
concept of LVM, ext3 so I don't think you would be successful in
installing it on the Xen machine outside of Xen on a LVM LV or anything.

Let me see if I can dig up a copy and look at the installer, it wasn't
that sophisticated back then, it may be a matter of just installing some
packages with RPM and copying over the DomU kernel modules.

**after much searching**

Okay, can't find 5.2 anywhere in my CD collection ( I did have it ), It
doesn't look like it's on the net anywhere either. If someone can find
it, I'm sure I can script an install from Dom0 into an LVM LV or
something, shouldn't be too tough. I won't need the CD, just an FTP site
somewhere. I'm sure someone is still mirroring that?

-Bill