Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0 (release) Debian packages?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0 (release) Debian packages?
From: Ralph Passgang <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:24:22 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:26:40 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have created some xen3 packages (32bit only, no pae) packages, but there
aren't really ready for production. I am having got some troubles in getting
a domU running myself...  :(

If I can solve my problems, then I will also create xen3-pae and xen3-64
packages... that shouldn't be any problem,

But you can try yourself:

simply add these lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

  deb http://packages.debianbase.de/<distro>/i386/xen3 ./
  deb-src http://packages.debianbase.de/sources/xen3 ./

(replace "<distro>" with "sarge" / "etch" or "sid").

and then: "apt-get update && apt-get install xen"

The following two problems exists when I try my xen3 packages:

1) the kernel-patch-xen package is not useable, but this seems to be an
upstream problem. If you try to build a kernel patched with the
kernel-patch-xen package, then you will always get compile errors (smp_alt.h
missing and stuff like that).

I think this is the same problem as reported in this thread:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2005-11/msg00396.html

work-around: get the source package of xen3 (via apt-get source xen) and type:

make linux-2.6-xen-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig

after that you can build a xen kernel with make-kpkg or simply with:
make linux-2.6-xen-build && make linux-2.6-xen-install

2) the second problem is more difficult. I can boot a dom0, but I cannot start
any domainU's.

If hotplug is installed I get: "Cannot connect to backend device" and with
udev: "hotplug scripts not working".

after that the new domain is paused. If I unpause the domain and connect to
the console I see that the new domains crashed, because init can't find /dev

I think it has something to do with losetup and the file-VBD. It seems so,
that the vbd-block script can't find a free /dev/loop* device... I hadn't
enough time for trying to resolv this problem.

If someone has feedback or already solved this issued, please let me now!

--Ralph