[Xen-users] Xen/Dual boot/LVM/block device mapping.

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen/Dual boot/LVM/block device mapping.
From: Adam Carheden <adam.carheden@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 13:05:05 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:06:56 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I need to set up a machine with two distributions on it so that I can
boot either of them with Xen and boot the other as a DOMU. I also want
everything on LVM. Something like:

---------------------------
grub.conf:

title Gentoo/XEN
root (hd0,0)
kernel /xen.gz
module  /kernel-gentoo root=/dev/vg1/gentoo-root
module /initrd-gentoo

title SuSE/XEN
root (hd0,0)
kernel /xen.gz
module /kernel-suse root=/dev/vg1/suse-root
module /initrd-suse

The problem is /etc/fstab. They'll both boot fine as DOM0, but when I
try to boot DOMU with the config:

    disk = [ 'phy:vg1/suse-root,vg1/suse-root,w' ]

I get the standard "can't mount rootfs" complaints from the kernel:

    Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
    VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
    VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

When I try it with

    disk = [ 'phy:vg1/suse-root,testdev,w' ]

I get "Error creating domain: int argument required" from xen.

What are the rules about naming block devices in DOMU? Is there any
way I can do this without creating a script to mount and modify fstab
on the DOMU root?

Thanks
--
Adam Carheden