RE: [Xen-users] (3ware) xen 3.0 amd64 crash... seems to be tied intodisk

To: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] (3ware) xen 3.0 amd64 crash... seems to be tied intodisk i/o, > 4 gig ram
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 19:50:12 -0000
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 19:51:24 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I got a response back from 3ware, as I forwarded Ian's note to them...
> My card(s) is(are) an 8506-4LP

I'm not sure about the newer controllers, but the older generation
certainly couldn't do DMA above 4GB, and relied on bounce buffers or
GART support.

To try and recreate your setup we put an old 3ware controller in a
machine with 6GB and have been hitting it hard all day without problems.
The swiotlb bounce buffer code seems to be working fine. This is on a
Xeon, but since we use swiotlb on AMD64 too there shouldn't be any
difference.

Ian