[Xen-users] Am not able to create a XenU Domain forFedoraCore 4

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Am not able to create a XenU Domain forFedoraCore 4
From: Steven Anderson <hikenboot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 07:38:20 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 15:39:12 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Greetings and Happy Holiday Season:

I filed an open issue with Fedora installer and rpm because of the same error. I was suggested to look in the xend-debug.log for detailed logs on the problem.

This is enabled in

nano /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

by adding the following lines

(logfile /var/log/xend.log.debug)
(loglevel DEBUG)
then removing the logs
rm -f /var/log/xend.log
rm -f /var/log/xend.log.debug
rm -f /var/log/xend-debug.log
then issuing
touch /var/log/xend.log
touch /var/log/xend.log.debug
touch /var/log/xend-debug.log
(note this starts your logs with a clean slate with nothing in them)
and then
issuing the command  /usr/sbin/xend restart (so it uses the newly created logs)

When this is done more details show up on the problem

However after looking ove the suggested logs I believe the root of the problem is that
the install script and the .tar files now available do not provide a domU kernel
the existing domU kernels in the existing domain are actually part of xen 2.6 or 2.7 --whatever the last version was named.

When the 3.0 kernel was just issued it no longer works with older domU kernels and one was not provided with the script to replace it with that is generic.

Correct me if I am wrong but the procedure for creating a new domU kernel would be somthing as follows:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.redhat.rpm/browse_thread/thread/45907c4eaaedf6e9/064d7e2068044d75?lnk=st&q=how+to+make+a+rpm+file+in+redhat&rnum=1&hl=en#064d7e2068044d75

(NOTE: I might be wrong since no source is provided--therefor recompiling wouldnt be possible with the rpm therfor one couldnt enable the proper front end/or backend whatever drivers--cant remember which the domU's require)

Then again as I mention later on it might be simple as
copy dom0 kernel to  a name like kernel-domU and placing it in domU's boot directory....creating a initrd image doing a modprobe -a in domU after it starts and creating proper config file for it....not in that order of course!

Please note that the procedure will have to vary slightly since the name of the kernel is ...domU kernel I think this can be taken care of with EXTRAVERSION=3.1.1-domU but not sure havent tried it yet
also
make DESTDIR=$BUILD_ROOT install  may have to be setup so it installs it into /boot where it will then have to be copied into the domU image by
mount -o loop /path/to/image/file/image.file /mnt/fedora
cd /mnt/fedora
rpm -Uvh -root /path/to/image/file/mnt/fedora/  NewDomUKernel-3.1.1-domU

Its complicated and would be easier if they provided a prebuilt domU kernel. Im not sure but the dom0 kernel may be generic enough to use as domU kernel just by renaming it ---this is dependant upon if its compiled with both the backend and frontend drivers but am not sure.

Perhaps if someone wants to start a wiki on doing this we can all contribute to it!

Regards,

Steven Anderson

Yahoo! Personals