Re: [Xen-users] Is hardware PCI passthrough working in 3.0 yet?

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Is hardware PCI passthrough working in 3.0 yet?
From: Jeff Noxon <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 19:01:49 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 01:02:32 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 09:44:07PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > I've seen at least a few people (myself included) using it
> > for firewalls and such, dedicating an ethernet card per domU.
> > I'm not sure I'd entirely agree with the statement 'Its not
> > widely used'.
>
> Trust me, it's not widely used: The configuration documentation for it
> in 2.0 is so cryptic that anyone who ever uses it posts to xen-devel to
> ask for help. We know you all personally :-)

That's not necessarily true; Some of us search the mailing list archives
for answers to our questions.  I set up a 3.0.0 test box today.  Then I
spent about 30 minutes today searching, reading and figuring out that
the feature is gone in Xen 3.0.0.  Better yet, I understand *why* the
feature is gone.  But I do hope it returns soon...

Regards,

Jeff