Re: [Xen-users] domU network configuration question

To: Bill Kelly <billk@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU network configuration question
From: Nivedita Singhvi <nsnix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:52:16 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 19:46:13 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bill Kelly wrote:
Hi,

I've installed xen-2.0.7, and I'm trying to get networking in my
domU set up correctly.

This has been fixed in later releases.

If you need to make it work in 2.0.7, try the following:

In your 2.0.7 /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge script,
insert an extra egrep cmd after:
"| egrep '^ *inet '"
as in:
"| egrep '^ *inet ' | egrep "${src}$"

thanks,
Nivedita

My server has one NIC, but five IP addresses.  My dom0 uses the
first IP address.  I'd like my domU to use the second IP address.

Originally my /etc/network/interfaces on the dom0 defined interfaces
for the first two IP addresses as:

 auto eth0
 iface eth0 inet static
 address 69.93.218.2
 netmask 255.255.255.248
 gateway 69.93.218.1

 auto eth0:0
 iface eth0:0 inet static
 address 69.93.218.3
 netmask 255.255.255.248

I have removed "eth0:0" from dom0, but I would like that 69.93.218.3
IP address to be assigned to the domU.  My domU /etc/network/interfaces
now looks like:

 auto eth0
 iface eth0 inet static
 address 69.93.218.3
 netmask 255.255.255.248
 gateway 69.93.218.1

As you can see, I just copied what used to be "eth0:0" on dom0, and
put it in the domU (adding the gateway parameter from dom0's eth0.)

However, this doesn't appear to be working. The domU boots up, and the interface is there with correct-looking parameters - but I can't
ping anything.

If anyone can point out what I'm doing wrong, it'd be most
appreciated.

Thanks!

Regards,

Bill