FW: [Xen-users] Externally determining xenU IP

To: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: FW: [Xen-users] Externally determining xenU IP
From: Steve Brueckner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:19:17 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 17:19:17 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Steve Brueckner schrieb:
>>
>> Is there a way, from the xen0 domain, to determine the IP address of
>> a running xenU domain? I'm looking for a general solution, whether
>> the xenU IP is assigned statically or via DHCP. I'm using the default
>> bridging networking script. I tried looking at the output of ifconfig
>> in xen0, figuring maybe one of the vif interfaces would tell me the
>> ip of xenU, but no luck.
>
>Stephan Seitz wrote:
>
> i assume, your using dhcp for domU's ip configuration, so your able
> to add some
>
> host HOSTNAME {
>     hardware ethernet aa:0e:0c:a0:34:4e;
>     fixed-address 1.2.3.4;
> }
>
> to your dhcpd.conf
>
> referenced mac addresses can be easily adjusted in the xen
> configuration files.
>
> i don't see a need for requesting ip's, as you're able to fix the ip
> to the host.

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately I don't have control over the dhcp
server, so I don't think this approach will work.  What I need is a general,
programmatic way to get IP for xenU from xen0 in any situation.  I'm
creating an application for use in any environment, not just in my office.
Maybe there is no dhcp.  Maybe there is no dns.

After tinkering with this for a few hours, I'm starting to think it can't be
done without some sort of Expect or perl script to interact with the xenU
console.

P.S. please send responses to the mailing list instead of directly to
individual subscribers, thanks.

Steve Brueckner, ATC-NY