[Xen-users] Re: Xen for network services (aka web/mail/dns etc)

Simon wrote:
On 12/1/05, Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So long as the system is up to the CPU and IO load you'll be placing on
it (and without knowing your load, it's hard to say much), you shouldn't
have trouble. However, a few pieces of advice:

The load on the current mysql server is -0.1 average.

Right, but that's a completely different workload than it's going to have later.

- Move your MySQL instance into a DomU, even if it's not as convenient
as you'd like.

I have been thinking of leaving this as a completly seperate server
and purchasing new equiptment for running Xen on. I have been looking
at IBM xSeries 446 rack gear with dual 3.0Ghz Xeon 'Irwindale'
processors.

In looking at new gear? What would be the best processors to concider?

We're an AMD shop, and very happy to be so. Any advice I gave you wrt processors would be heavily slanted in that direction. (There are the power considerations, of course -- and from what we understand, AMD's dual core architecture performs significantly better than Intel's).

What is the optimum storage ideal here? Currently we have a RAID 5
disk with a fair amount of space available. Also: Can you store your
domU partitions on a NAS or something?

Whatever works for you -- depends on your workload. Yes, you can keep the storage in question on a NAS. If it's iSCSI, AOE or otherwise at a block device level (rather than something akin to NFS), I recommend mounting the devices on the Dom0 and incorporating that into your volumes which get exported to the DomUs.

Having your storage be on a NAS should make migrating your DomUs around between Xen servers (for hardware maintenance or whatnot) easier.