RE: [Xen-users] Hardware recommendations for XEN

To: "Dimitry Golubovsky" <golubovsky@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Hardware recommendations for XEN
From: "Petersson, Mats" <mats.petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:36:39 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:39:49 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm sure there are some motherboards that doesn't work with Xen, but
generally it's not a common occurrence (aside from some particular ones,
but those are generally server machines, which I don't think you're
after buying anyways).

Dual core is a good thing, as it helps getting the Dom0 to work at the
same time as DomU - This is definitely a good thing.

I'd say AMD CPU's are better, but if you check my domain name you'd know
why, and I'm sure the Intel guy's would argue that theirs are better...
;-)

You can't have direct access to hardware from the DomU if you also have
access to the same hardware (i.e. IDE controller) from Dom0, that's just
not going to work [all sorts of interesting conflicts/race-conditions
and so on]. So, the only way that you MAY get the CDRW to work under
DomU would be to have the entire controller controlled by (the same)
DomU. This would work, but I have a feeling you actually wanted the
other hard drive(s) to work on Dom0, which is not an option here. It may
be possible to create a virtual CDRW in the DomU and let Dom0 do the
actual writing of the CDRW, but I'm pretty sure that support isn't there
right now...

If you're not buying this machine in the next couple of weeks, it would
make sense to think about Xen 3.0, as that should be available some time
pretty soon [But I don't work at XenSource, so I have no REAL
information on when it's going to happen].

--
Mats