[Xen-users] AW: Use hard drive as physical mem for xen vm

To: "'Sean Dague'" <sean@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] AW: Use hard drive as physical mem for xen vm
From: "Oliver Neumann [New Identity AG]" <oliver.neumann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:56:36 +0100
Cc: 'Ernst Bachmann' <e.bachmann@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:57:51 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>I'm still really confused here.  How damn slow can it be?  If you have an
>application that thinks it is in full memory (and needs full memory), and
it
>isn't, then you'll probably see in the neighborhood of a 1000 x slow down
>(or worse).  So an operation that normally takes 1 second, would instead 20
>minutes.

That's somehow to 'easy calculated'. I think that if our application needs
about 1sec for a query on a non-clustered-memory system (only using standard
mysql harddisc files), then it won't take 20min on a mysql-cluster with
hard-
drive emulated memory. Why should it? It then would use the same technology
store and query data from (in both cases hard-drive) perhaps needing some
more
time to execute because of some overhead mysql-cluster daemon generates -
but
that's all. Your calculation seems somehow nonsens to me (sorry!).