[Xen-users] Dom0 seeing 2Gb, but not 4GB ram

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Dom0 seeing 2Gb, but not 4GB ram
From: Mark Lassiter <mackdaddylassiter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 07:26:13 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 15:28:38 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

We have installed Xen on our new server with the
following specs:

2 x AMD Opteron 240s.
4Gb RAM (2x2GB Patriot)
3Ware RAID Controller
4x36Gb Raptors (Stripe 0)

The core linux installation is Fedora Core 4-32bit.
FC4 sees all 4GBs of RAM.  The Xen Dom0, however, only
sees 2Gb.

I've tried the following:
1. Installing the pre-built FC4 Xen Kernels.  Same
result.
2. Installing the FC4-64bit.  Could then see 4GB, but
ran into other issues creating a guest system.
3. Downloading the latest Xen-unstable code, using
menuconfig to set ensure the CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G setting
was set (and it is) and building new kernels to
FC4-32.

The last is where I stand today.  For some reason,
however, I only see 2GB of RAM.  That fact that I see
2GB leads me to believe the HIGHMEM is working
(because it would be 800Mb otherwise, right?).  Why
can't I see the rest?  Could it have to do with having
2x2Gb sticks instead of 4x1Gb?

I don't believe I can use PAE, thats an intel thing,
right?

I'm at a loss.  We really want to make use of our
memory as we plan to run one DomU with 1GB and the
rest with 512GB each.

The Xen kernel version is 2.6.12.6 (unstable).  FC has
all the latest yum updates as of this morning.

Thanks,
Mark