[Xen-users] domU device access : kernel problem

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] domU device access : kernel problem
From: "Waeyenbergh, Sven" <Sven.Waeyenbergh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 10:12:25 +0100
Cc: Markus Schuster <ma.schuster@xxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:17:47 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I finally managed to get my kernel booting.

It seems like when your are accessing hardware directly from a domU kernel, you
need to set CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS
but you also need to enable CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST for the kernel to boot.

Please note that there are several steps to get this to work :

1. find the device (or devices - some cards have more then 1) by running lspci
on dom0
2. hide devices from dom0 by specifying the physdev_dom0_hide kernel option at
the xen-2.0.gz kernel command line
                example : kernel /xen-2.0.gz dom0_mem=131072
physdev_dom0_hide=(03:02.1)(03:02.0)
3. give your domU kernel hardware access by specifying
CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS in your domU kernel config
4. enable CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST in your domU kernel config - do not know
why, but seems needed to boot
5. enable the drivers you need in the domU kernel config - both the device
drivers and the bus drivers
                example : for a tvcard: CONFIG_I2C,
CONFIG_i2C_ALGOBIT,CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV,CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848 and CONFIG_PCI
                note that making modules here is easy for debugging
5. if you made modules, copy them to the domU filesystem
6. make the domU kernel and edit the config file to boot from it
7. give the domU access to the specified devices by adding pci=['x,y,z'] in you
domain config file
                example: pci = ['03,02,1','03,02,0']

and boot tha booty ...

Hope it helps,