Re: [Xen-users] Re: VMWare and xen comparison

To: Black Dew <bdew@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: VMWare and xen comparison
From: Gerd Knorr <kraxel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:51:34 +0100
Cc: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:48:48 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Hi,

The emulation level xen uses is generaly unable to handle the process of installing an OS from a generic installation CD. One of the main problems would be that the kernel on the install CD is meant to run on a rial system, it'll not function in a domU. Replacing the kernel is possible but my guess is that 90% of instalers would barf if ran on a different kernel inside a domU.

No, it's not that a big issue. The main obstackle is that the modules on the install media will not load into the custom domU kernel, so you need a kernel with all config options needed by the installer statically compiled in. Also parted isn't very happy with the xvd disks because the ioctls to inform the kernel about partition layout changes don't work on these (yet?), so you have to boot the installer twice (once for partitioning, then restart for the real install). But that's it. I've already installed suse by booting the installer within a domU. Havn't tried fedora yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works just fine as well.

cheers,

  Gerd