Re: [Xen-users] Xen + networking woes

To: jaikumar Ganesh <jaikumarg@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen + networking woes
From: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:35:20 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 06:39:19 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

you need not use eth1 for that. Just configure a static bridge in your /etc/network/interfaces (with "static" I want to emphasize that it is not dynamically setup by xen) like so:

auto xen-br0
iface xen-br0 inet static
       address 10.10.10.1
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       network 10.10.10.0
       broadcast 10.10.10.255
       pre-up brctl addbr xen-br0
       post-down brctl delbr xen-br0

Next you have to "silence" your xend-network-script (because it would set up a bridge which now is not needed) - I have simply put in a "exit 0" after the first line.

Now all your vms will be connected to the bridge by the vif-bridge script and you are fine. If your static route is working that should be it.

The main difference to xend default config is that eth0 is not enslaved by the bridge - which is what you wanted, as far as I understand it.

Dirk

jaikumar Ganesh schrieb:

Hi ,

Basically we want all xen (dom-0 and other VMs to be on a private network).

We have the following configuration:

We have a machine with a statically assigned IP (
192.168.0.1<http://192.168.0.1>).
This machine has 2 nics (eth0 and eth1). eth0 has the IP address
192.168.0.1<http://192.168.0.1>.
eth1 is not connected.

So we basically want a virtual machine network 10.10.10.x, so all VMs take
address from this range. (10.10.10.x).

eth1 is assigned IP 10.10.10.1 <http://10.10.10.1> and dhcp server for the
network 10.10.10.x runs on the same machine.

We want xen domain-0 to be on eth1 and all VMs to pick up a IP from the dhcp
server. There is a static route between eth0 and eth1 to access the public
network.

Is this possible? and how do we go about doing this?

Thanks,
Jai