Re: [Xen-users] domU interface numbers?

To: Jonathan Wheeler <griffous@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU interface numbers?
From: Jeff Collins <xenlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:04:06 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 01:27:54 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 02:01:09AM +1300, Jonathan Wheeler wrote:
> Hi All,

Hello...

> I'm using opensuse 10.0, with Xen3.0 7398, and I'm having real trouble
> with my domU interface names.
> Whenever I change the networking configuration for the domU in the xen
> config file for that dom, the ethX in domU increments.
> I'm not doing anything special, just a standard bridged interface, and
> I'll add it does work correctly - bridging out it's vif etc.
> But I can't have the eth interface changing. Currently my domU is up to
> eth7.
> I just want it to be eth0 like any normal [real] linux host, and stay
> that way!

I had the same problem, and it is being caused by udev.  To return the
first eth interface on the domU to eth0, you have to go into yast2,
system, edit /etc/sysconfig and under Network -> Hardware -> Config,
change Force_Peristent_Names to no.  If you have multiple interfaces,
you may want to put it back to yes once you have things the way you
like them.

> How is this all controlled in xen?

That part I'm not as sure about, but to the best of my knowledge, it
just prestents the int to the domU.  The problem may be that messing with
the config causes Xen to present a different MAC or other option to the
domU, causing it to show up as a new interface thanks to the above udev
setting.

This all assumes that you're running SUSE in the domU as well, but I'm
sure that other distro's have similar settings...

hth,
Jeff