[Xen-users] xm save question

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] xm save question
From: Patrick O'Rourke <porourke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:20:31 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:16:11 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

We would like to centrally manage the saved states of our domU's, which could be spread among various physical machines and unfortunately cannot use NFS. So one idea we had was to create a named pipe so one could save into this pipe and we would have a process reading the pipe which could handle moving the save file to a central repository. As an experiment I created a simple program to create the pipe and it seems to work okay if I cat a file into the pipe. However if I use the fifo as an argument to the "xm save" command, the save completes quickly, but my program does not see any data come across until it closes the pipe. In addition, I am unable to restore the domU from the resulting file.

I'm assuming the issue is within my code, but figured I run the question in case there is an obvious reason why this would not work, or if there is a better solution.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

--
Patrick O'Rourke