Re: [Xen-users] Frequent rpm db corruption / lock-up

To: "Gino LV. Ledesma" <gledesma@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Frequent rpm db corruption / lock-up
From: Ted Kaczmarek <tedkaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 16:15:44 -0400
Cc: Xen-Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:14:18 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 11:26 -0700, Gino LV. Ledesma wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> After deploying several xen hosts for various purposes (staging,
> production, development, qa, etc), I've been seeing strange problems
> involving rpm and yum. Two of the most frequently occuring problems
> are:
>
> 1. Indefinite lock-up / "hang" when using yum or rpm -- doing an
> strace shows that the process is waiting for a futex to complete, and
> this will take forever (not sure if it actually completes).
>
> 2. rpmdb corruption -- rpm / yum complains about incorrect db version,
> corrupted index, or whatnot.
>
> In both cases, deleting /var/lib/rpm/__db* and recreating the db via
> rpm --rebuilddb (optional) fixes it. But the problem will recur again
> later. One fix I've found is to force it to use LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=x
> where x is a really old kernel (pre-2.4.6).
>
> Anyone else observed this problem? I'm not sure if /lib/tls is to be
> blamed (I left it in place because I need db4 and a lot of ther
> things). Using xen-2.0.7 and noticed this with 2.0.6 as well.
>
> As always, thanks for the help in advance. :-)
>
> - gino

Have a Centos 4.1 that was running 2.0.7 with Centos 4.1 and FC4 domU's
and did not see any such issues. It is running 2.0 testing right now.
Just ripped off yum updates on a Centos 4.1 and FC4 vm with no problems.

That rpm issue should be very sporatic with newer version of rpm, I used
to see it quite a bit in early nptl older rpm days, but very rare these
days.

Rarely had to rebuild the db to fix it, generally just removing the rpm
db files resolved it.  This was RH8 through FCX.

kill -9 "pid of rpm"
rm -rf /var/lib/rpm__db*

Regards,
Ted