Re: [Xen-users] Xen installation

To: Timur Irmatov <irmatov@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen installation
From: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:50:28 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:48:32 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 18:36 +0500, Timur Irmatov wrote:
> Hi, All!
>
> I'm trying to install xen-2.0-testing and having some troubles.. Docs
> for Xen seem to be pretty vague about installation process and mostly
> tell me to use binary package.
>
> I want to compile my own kernel (both privileged and unprivileged),
> and can't figure out, how..
>
> Could someone tell me precise steps to do this?
>
> Thanks in advance!

By the way, it took us a little while to figure out that building custom
kernels was just like building any kernel once xen was initially
installed other than needing to specify ARCH=xen.  We kept wondering why
every time we ran make world, we would overwrite our configurations!

When you first install xen, it will make its kernel trees.  You can
control the number, names and kernels of the trees by editing Makefile
and the buildconfigs files.  Once that is done, one can copy the kernel
trees for various customizations.  Then do typical

make ARCH=xen menuconfig
make ARCH=xen deps
make ARCH=xen
make ARCH=xen modules
make ARCH=xen modules_install
mkinitrd
etc.
Remember to copy the /lib/modules/<kernel directory> to the domain.

I think those are the main points we had to work out.  Hope this helps -
John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation

If you would like to participate in the development of an open source
enterprise class network security management system, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net