Re: [Xen-users] Serial Console oddity

To: "Gino LV. Ledesma" <gledesma@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Serial Console oddity
From: Derrik Pates <demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:42:11 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 03:40:37 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Gino LV. Ledesma wrote:
> Has anyone encountered a situation where the boot output stops after
> switchroot is made? What happens in my instal is that xen's serial
> console output stops at the moment the WARNING message about tls is
> made, and the very last message on screen/serial console is
> "Continuing...." The computer proceeds to boot, though nothing is
> shown on the console. So I don't get to access the xen host over
> serial console.

>     module /vmlinuz-2.6.11.12-xen0 ro root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVolRoot
> nousb console=xencons0 console=tty0

This might have something to do with it. It's not "xencons0", XenoLinux
sees it as ttyS0. Also, if you want the output of init to go to ttyS0
(so your initscripts' startup messages show up there), specify it
second, not first.

> 8250 Serial Driver compiled in.

The Xen hyperkernel has to take possession of the serial port, so
building in the 8250/16550 serial driver will break things. You
shouldn't enable it.

> When adding console=ttyS0, the message indicating press CTRL-a three
> times appears and boot stops there. Pressing CTRl-a 3x does nothing.

Yeah, not surprising. I'm rather surprised it doesn't blow up all the
time, actually, and worse than that.

> If it helps, this message appears during the kernel boot:
>
> WARNING: failed to register Xen virtual console driver as 'ttyS0'

Yep. Not surprising at all.

--
Derrik Pates
demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx