Re: [Xen-users] Compile Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Compile Xen
From: Andreas Seuss <mam04exx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:38:20 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:36:45 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

Daniel Hulme wrote:

>>My compile xen stop working in line
>>latex src/interface.tex >/dev/null
>>
>>This is normal?
>>

>Well, it's not normal, but it probably just means you don't have a LaTeX
>package installed. If you had included the error message we could know
>for sure what was wrong. Anyway, as this is just the documentation being
>generated, and it happens after all the software has been built, your
>Xen should be OK to install and use. If you want the documentation, just
>install LaTeX.

Same here:

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xen/xen-2.0-testing.hg/docs'
latex src/interface.tex >/dev/null

Won't do anything although latex and transfig are installed. I have to
kill 'latex'. It just sits idle. Xen itself works perfectly though ;-)

A 'top -p "latex-process-id" ' shows no use of cpu:

PID    USER   PR NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME  COMMAND
19401 root      18   0 16768 4028  692 S    0.0       6.8    0:00.02
latex

As for the question whether all packages required for building the
documentation are installed, the ./docs/check_pkgs checks for it. The
error message would look different in case a package was missing.

Ooh, while writing this mail and looking through the Makefiles I see
that 'latex2html' is required. In my case it was missing. After
installing it all went fine. The above mentioned doc/check_pkgs does not
check for latex2html. It does not do so in testing.hg and unstable.hg.
Inserting

    silent_which latex2html    || exit 1

will probably catch it :-)