Re: [Xen-users] promiscous mode on all interfaces?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] promiscous mode on all interfaces?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:18:24 +0100
Cc: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:16:53 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> the standard config uses bridging with promiscous mode for eth0
> (understandable) and the vifs (why that?).

For the vifs on dom0 side, right?

> Does that mean that EVERY vif receives EVERY packet crossing the bridge
> - even those packets destined for other domains? Documentation compares
> bridging to "a cross over cable between virtual machine and domain0"
> which would then be quite wrong.

They shouldn't receive every packet because the bridge should automatically
forward packets to the right vif, in the common case.  I imagine setting them
promiscuous is part and parcel of avoiding them having a MAC address: the MAC
the bridge sees is that of the guest.

This is an educated guess, since I generally stay clear of the networking
config!

Cheers,
Mark