[Xen-users] Xen networking fails after long uptime

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen networking fails after long uptime
From: Stephen Childs <childss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:24:05 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:52:53 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We have a number of Xen servers deployed around the country and they have proved to be stable for the past few months. However, in the last few weeks most of the machines have started to exhibit the same symptoms: the networking has stopped working meaning that it is no longer possible to access the DomUs (fortunately the Dom0 is OK). In some case, when I log onto a DomU using xm console I see a whole string of messages like this:

__alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0xf0/0)

Uptime for the DomU is around 130-160 days in most cases.

I am using a fairly old version of Xen (around 2.0.1 I think): is there any obvious problem that has been fixed in the past months that would resolve this issue? (I would have to be fairly sure of concrete improvements before upgrading these machines as if anything goes wrong I will have to hop in my car and driver for hours!)

Stephen
--
Dr. Stephen Childs,
Research Fellow, EGEE Project,    phone:                    +353-1-6081797