[Xen-users] how to create image file ?

To: andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] how to create image file ?
From: xen jones <xenwe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:34:11 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:32:46 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi: Andrew:

Currently I have guest OS running on /dev/sda7 with RedHat 8.0 and I would like to create
an image file from it so that I can boot from the file instead of physical disk partition.

Do you have any luck doing that ?

Here is what I tried:

1. on xen machine
    mount /dev/sda2   /temp       // /dev/sda2 have enough space
    dd if=/dev/sda7   of=/temp/sda7.imge bs=64k

 2. cd /etc/xen/auto   create a configure file as show following:

# Kernel image file.
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.4-xenU"
# Optional ramdisk.
#ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.gz"
# The domain build function. Default is 'linux'.
#builder='linux'
# Initial memory allocation (in megabytes) for the new domain.
memory = 128
# A name for your domain. All domains must have different names.
name = "sda2_image"
# Which CPU to start domain on?
#cpu = -1   # leave to Xen to pick
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define network interfaces.
# Number of network interfaces. Default is 1.
#nics=1
# Optionally define mac and/or bridge for the network interfaces.
# Random MACs are assigned if not given.
#vif = [ 'mac=aa:00:00:00:00:11, bridge=xen-br0' ]
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Define the disk devices you want the domain to have access to, and
# what you want them accessible as.
# Each disk entry is of the form phy:UNAME,DEV,MODE
# where UNAME is the device, DEV is the device name the domain will see,
# and MODE is r for read-only, w for read-write.

disk = ['file:/root/sda2.img,sda2,w']
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Set the kernel command line for the new domain.
# You only need to define the IP parameters and hostname if the domain's
# IP config doesn't, e.g. in ifcfg-eth0 or via DHCP.
# You can use 'extra' to set the runlevel and custom environment
# variables used by custom rc scripts (e.g. VMID=, usr= ).
# Set if you want dhcp to allocate the IP address.
#dhcp="dhcp"
# Set netmask.
#netmask=
# Set default gateway.
#gateway=
# Set the hostname.
#hostname= "vm%d" % vmid
# Set root device.
root = "/dev/sda2 rw"
# Root device for nfs.
#root = "/dev/nfs"
# The nfs server.
#nfs_server = '169.254.1.0'
# Root directory on the nfs server.
#nfs_root   = '/full/path/to/root/directory'
# Sets runlevel 4.
extra = "4"
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Set according to whether you want the domain restarted when it exits.
# The default is 'onreboot', which restarts the domain when it shuts down
# with exit code reboot.
# Other values are 'always', and 'never'.
#restart = 'onreboot'

3. xm create sda2.img -c

Here is what I get the error message:

[root@xen auto]# xm create sda2_img -c
Using config file "sda2_image".
Error: Error creating domain: vbd: Segment not found: uname=file:/root/sda2.img

Any clues ?

Thanks,

Jeremy

P.S. by the way, I tried other way to create imge file for RedHat 8.0 with no luck with the
       following url links:

Andrew Thompson <andrewkt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Jeremy Fang wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> Currently I have xen system running RedHat enterprise version 3 and two
> Guest OS running on top of that in which one is run as RedHat 8.0 and
> the other is RedHat 7.2. All the applicaton software running on the two
> Guest OS are functioning well. My goal is find a way to migrate these
> two guest OS + its application to other two physical servers without xen
> running on that.
> I don't need to do Live Migration.
>
> Therefore, the questions are:
>
> 1) Is it feasible to do that ?
> 2) If it is feasible, how to do it and what tools do I need to achieve
> that ?

It sounds like a simple copy of your partition to the new machine. (Or,
did I miss something?)

First, you should probably build kernels on the guests that can
successfully boot the new servers(or have a verified boot cd handy).

If you can temporarily pull the drive, it might take less time to walk
the drive to the new machine and cp -a or tar | tar to the harddrive in
the new machine.

Basically you just need to transfer the filesystem(with permissions,
links, etc) to the new server, tweak your /etc/fstab, and lilo/grub your
kernel into place.

If they are large partitions, there is a tool on the samba website that
supposedly compresses better than gzip or bzip2, but it's name now
eludes me.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/