Re: [Xen-users] UnionFS + Xen

To: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] UnionFS + Xen
From: "Gino LV. Ledesma" <gledesma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 21:40:22 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 May 2005 04:39:45 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 5/25/05, Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gino LV. Ledesma wrote:
>
> >Hi, list
> >
> >Has anyone gotten something similar to work? Any ideas / tips /
> >comments / suggestions in doing so? I'm tweaking my xen RPM spec file
> >to support unionfs and right now just looking at the boot up process
> >of getting the domain to mount something else on top of the exported
> >root file system (either a file-backed VBD or yet another NFS export).
> >

> This is actually a large part of the paper for this presentation at OLS:
>
> http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2005/view_abstract.php?content_key=117
>
> There's a number of approaches to solving this problem.  unionfs would
> be ideal but it's a bit unstable.  Another approach is to keep certain
> directories read only (like /usr, /bin, /lib, /sbin, etc.) and others
> read write (/etc, /var/, etc.).  This will get you pretty far.

Thanks for the reply. I guess this is one of the most oftens suggested
approaches. The two goals that I'd like to meet are:
1. Storage flexibility (resize as necessary) -- LVM looks good to go,
though in our setup where we can use NetApps, NFS would be another
approach.
2. Ease of administration / maintenance -- Some of the issues I'm wary
about when going unionfs is that if we make changes to the underlying
filesystem (e.g. OS upgrade) and there are changes on the overlay,
conflicts might occur.

I'll look to doing both -- I'd like to keep things simpler, as there'd
be less chances of breaking things.

Thanks again.

gino ledesma