RE: [Xen-users] suspend/resume and live migration I/O mappings

To: "Alan Greenspan" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] suspend/resume and live migration I/O mappings
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 14:56:24 +0100
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 17 May 2005 13:56:03 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> When suspending a domain and resuming it on a different host
> or using live migration, what are the I/O configuration
> requirements of the source and target hosts?   In particular,
> if using block devices in dom0 for use as domU disks, does
> the destination host require an identical view of the block
> devices?   In other words, suppose a SAN LUN seen on /dev/sdc
> in dom0 on the source host is mapped to a domU for one of its
> disks, but on the destination host, the same SAN LUN shows up
> on /dev/sdd in dom0, is there an ability to remap the devices
> for a domU during the resume or migration?

You can write a script similar to the 'block-enbd' or 'block-file' that
handles the mapping of some higher-level name down to the local device.

> Same issue for
> eth devices as the source/destination may not have an
> identical number of NICs or the network connectivity of NICs
> may different on the two hosts.

Again, you can intercept this in 'vif-bridge' if you have special
requirements.

> I suppose the same issue
> even extends to file based disks in shared NFS or clustered
> storage - do both source/destination hosts require the same
> NFS mount points?

You can intercept this in the 'block-file' script. Note than loopback
files over NFS is a bad idea -- linux just doesn't handle this well.

Best,
Ian