Re: [Xen-users] Errors with kernel compilation/install

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Errors with kernel compilation/install
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:34:50 +0100
Cc: prosolutions@xxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:40:22 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> So I got the xen source, ran "make xen", "make tools", the copied my custom
> Linux kernel .config to dist/install/boot/config-2.6.11-xen0 and ran "make
> kernels".  When I went into the kernel linux-2.6.11-xen0 and ran "make
> ARCH=xen menuconfig" to check to see if my custom kernel options were there
> they weren't.  So xen ignored my config.

Hrrrm.  I'm not sure that's the intended behaviour.

> So I copied in my custom .config to xen-unstable/linux-2.6.11-xen0/ and
> ran "make kernels" again.  Then copied the vmlinuz-2.6.11.8-xen0 kernel
> image and accompanying System.map from xen-unstable/dist/install/boot/
> to /boot and put a stanza in lilo.conf.  Here's what happens when I run
> lilo:

You really need to use Grub to boot Xen / XenLinux.  If you *really* want ot
keep Lilo you might be able to use the mbootpack program in the unstable tree
to package Xen and XenLinux into a lilo-bootable image (this program will
work on -stable tree kernels too).

Cheers,
Mark