Re: [Xen-users] Confusion about Kernel in Installation process

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, prosolutions@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Confusion about Kernel in Installation process
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 19:35:42 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 May 2005 18:41:15 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> # find ./ -name vmlinuz-2.6.11-xenU*   comes up empty.  Although the
> domain 0 kernel was built I cannot find anything that looks like a Linux
> kernel image under the linux-2.6.11-xen-sparse tree.  Could it be that my
> build failed?

Strange...  After a make world it should be in dist/install/boot/.  What *is*
in that directory?

There shouldn't be any object files in the sparse tree.  The
linux-2.6.11-xen[0U] trees (which are created during make dist) contain the
vmlinux files.  If you make dist / world then the vmlinuz files will end up
in dist/install/boot/.

> For the kernel for domain 0 I would want to select "Privileged Guest"
> and "Physical device access" (automatically selected when "Privileged
> Guest" is selected)?

Yes, you need that so the kernel can host the drivers for your hardware
devices.

> For the kernels for virtual domains should these
> two options not be selected?

They don't *need* to be selected.  If they are selected, however, the only
harm is a slightly larger kernel.  There are no compatibility / security
issues here.

Cheers,
Mark