Re: [Xen-users] Xen and hardware

Am Montag, den 18.04.2005, 16:53 +0100 schrieb Shahzad Chohan:
> Could any please help me understand why a domain can't see the
> underlying hardware.

Because if every domain could use all hardware directly you would end up
in a big mess (imagine playing mpeg in all domains ;), so they have
virtual partitions and virtual NICs which look different than the real
hardware.

> Basically I've installed a couple of fedora install from a cd in to a
> partition, then used the install as xen domain. Each time they boot up
> kudzu complains of losing the hardware. If I accept "remove
> configuration" then I end up losing my network connection. Any ideas ?

Stop using kudzu within a domU:

  chkconfig kudzu off

If you want to use the same partition natively (=not as domU) with
kudzu, you could define different runlevels (say 4=within domU,
5=native), delete kudzu from runlevel 4 (chkconfig --level 4 kudzu off)
and tell xen to boot the domU into runlevel 4 (extra+=" 4").

Learn to configure fedore networking by hand. RH9 manual is still valid:

  <http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/ch-
networkscripts.html>

/nils.